Update: Bipartisan Coalition Defeats Manhattan Project Park
Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) today led a bipartisan coalition of 180 Members of Congress to stand for veterans, for fiscal responsibility and friendship with the Japanese people, voting against H.R. 5987, which would have established a new national park celebrating the technological achievements of the Manhattan Project. Read more…
This briefing for our representatives, sponsored by Representative Dennis Kucinich’s congressional office, had several aims.
- Focus attention on the medical effects of radiation exposure.
- Call for the phase out of nuclear power beginning with the rapid closure of Mark I and Mark 2 boiling water reactors in the US, in concert with plans to meet our energy needs through conservation, efficiency and renewable energy sources.
- Call for the decommissioning of any reactors with serious safety concerns or located in a seismic/tsunami prone area.
- Heighten the focus on the continuing catastrophe in Fukushima, Japan and especially in regards to spent fuel pool in the number 4 Reactor and this in relation to our unresolved issue of nuclear waste disposal here in the United States
Moderator: Brent Blackwelder, emeritus president of Friends of the Earth
- Mitsuhei Murata, Japan’s former Ambassador to Switzerland
- Arjun Makhijani, author of Carbon-Free and Nuclear-Free: A Roadmap for U.S. Energy Policy and world renowned nuclear expert
- Dr. Catherine Thomasson, Executive Director of Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Mariko Bender will make a passionate appeal on behalf of Children of Fukushima and the World Network for Saving Children From Radiation.
- Arnie Gundersen will update us and answer questions about the Fukushima catastrophe and reactor in relation to our own nuclear plans.
- Paul Gunter of Beyond Nuclear will address the dangers of the GE Mark 1 and Mark 2 reactor designs.
- Michael Mariotte of NIRS will provide testimony on the state of our decrepit Nuclear fleet in the United States.
- Alice Slater of the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation will address the relationship between Nuclear Weapons and Nuclear Energy.
- S. David Freeman, senior advisor with Friends of the Earth’s nuclear campaign