By Grayson Webb
Power Struggle by Robbie Leppzer
Filmed during the 5-year timespan the action was occurring, this feature-length documentary by filmmaker Robbie Leppzer highlights the heated politics involved in the state-wide community effort to close the aged Vermont Yankee (VY) atomic power reactor. The film chronicles the unfolding drama as citizen activists and elected officials – alarmed at ever increasing safety violations at VY – take on the federal government and one of the biggest nuclear power corporations in America demanding the closure of the reactor at the expiration of its original 40-year license.
Capturing the personal journey of nuclear engineer Arnie Gundersen and his wife former nuclear industry spokesperson Maggie Gundersen through the backdrop of the nuclear industry, the film intertwines different perspectives on all sides of the nationwide controversy about the use of atomic power. Power Struggle features many different protagonists including local residents both for and against atomic power, elected officials, a Vermont Yankee spokesperson, federal nuclear regulators, and leaders for the environmental protection of Vermont’s pristine and limited resources.
This film is a timely and inspirational story of democracy in action! Should citizens’ voices be heard against moneyed corporate interests? What are people in Vermont doing right now to make a difference for a sustainable energy future?
Power Struggle has already been featured in the Vermont International Film Festival (VTIFF) in Burlington, Vermont and has had screenings and has had screenings in theaters around the New England area including the Academy of Music in Northampton, MA and the Latchis Theater in Brattleboro, VT.
Read praise for the film and watch the full trailer below!
• VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO: ‘Power Struggle’ Documentary Chronicles Efforts To Close Vermont Yankee Nuclear Plant
By Ric Cengeri & Matthew F Smith
Filmmaker Robbie Leppzer Interviewed on “Vermont Edition”
Listen to this 10-minute interview
• WPTZ-NBC 5: Vt. Yankee story finally hits big screen
Documentary chronicling shutdown of nuclear plant premieres Sunday
Filmmaker Robbie Leppzer and nuclear whistleblowers Arnie and Maggie Gundersen interviewed by Stewart Ledbetter
Watch this 3-minute report:
• NECN (New England Cable News Network): ‘Power Struggle’ Film Documents Nuclear Safety Concerns
Watch this 5-minute interview with Robbie Leppzer on THE TAKE WITH SUE O’CONNELL:
• WCAI (Cape Cod NPR) Power Struggle: A Documentary About the Closing of Vermont Yankee Nuclear Plant
Listen to this 8-minute interview with Robbie Leppzer on THE POINT WITH MINDY TODD
• VT Digger: New film reveals ‘Power Struggle’ to close Vermont Yankee
• Daily Hampshire Gazette: David vs. Goliath: Documentary film explores closing of Vt. Yankee
• Greenfield Recorder In ‘Power Struggle,’ filmmaker explores efforts to shut down Vt. Yankee
• Times Argus: Documentary details citizen effort to close Vt. Yankee
• MassLive: ‘Power Struggle’ movie documents the fight to close Vermont Yankee nuclear plant http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/10/power_struggle_movie_documents.html
• World Premiere, Provincetown International Film Festival, Provincetown, MA …read more